Currently browsing

November 27, 2012


Flow on a Curve-Worn Rail Head

The small lip on the head of the rail is called “flow.” It’s formed by trains running over track with heavy loads for years and ultimately deforming the heads of the rail. The wear varies as is evident in this picture. The bottom left is a rail that is curve …